Github user tabish121 commented on the issue:

    @franz1981 It doesn't look like the buffer could be contended unless
perhaps the consumer was able to be subscribed to more than one queue at a time
via some sort of composite type subscription but I don't think that is possible
?  otherwise the broker should be dispatching serially if I understand
correctly but I'd defer to @clebertsuconic on that one.

    It isn't entirely uncommon for consumers to be subscribed to low volume
queues or topics where they might sit idle for a longer period of time so
having each consumer hold onto memory like that indefinitely could lead to
quick resource exhaustion on the broker in the case of 1000s of connections
(think IoT)

---