Github user cshannon commented on the issue:

    I understand wanting to keep memory low but there's a point where you take
things too far.  At some point usability and correctness is more important.
Having just a consumerId is just not correct, end of story.  It is not a unique
value and will be duplicated. The client library is responsible for creating
that consumerId per session so there's no way to go back and make the
consumerId unique (can't change old client libraries).  I wish there were, that
would solve this problem.

    I do not agree that refactoring is the best approach.  At the end of the
day if we can't add a reference to a String I think we are taking trying to
limit memory usage too far.

---