The LICENSE file is for the distribution contents, which in case of
the source release distribution means source files, but in case of a
convience binary distribution means it also includes distributed
dependencies.

It is typical to include (/reference an included file for) the
dependency licences in the LICENSE file if they differ from the ASLv2
'for the project', to that ensure people are aware of the appropriate
licence for the included contents, and also cover most required third
party notices. Very little need go in the NOTICE file actually, as
most things are covered by the LICENSE file:
"When a release contains third party works, the licenses covering
those works may ask that consumers are informed in certain specific
fashions. These third party notices vary from license to license.
Apache releases should contain a copy of each license, usually
contained in the LICENSE document. For many licenses this is a
sufficient notice."
http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#required-third-party-notices

Specificaly to your earlier questions though, GNU LGPL 2, 2.1, 3 are
considered Category X per the prev link and so this becomes irrelevant
in that case as such dependencies may not even be distributed:
"Apache projects may not distribute Category X licensed components, be
it in source or binary form; and be it in ASF source code or
convenience binaries."
http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#prohibited

(Though to be clear, that restriction did not apply to the case which
started this thread since it actually had no LGPL content)

Robbie