I keep seeing mention of having multiple variations of docker images using
different base images and some thoughts come to mind.

Here are my thoughts:

   - Docker staged builds make it easy to copy specific contents from one
   base image into a new one, leaving behind unwanted content (e.g. O/S or JDK
   specifics)
   - If the ActiveMQ-specific parts are placed in dedicated directories,
   copying them out to new images would be straight forward
   - Of couse, the number of combinations folks will want can grow to
   unmaintainable levels quickly
   - Having official image(s) that are functional, and provide a
   "quick-start" to meet the following use-cases would be great value across
   the board:
      - New user spinning up a broker to learn/experiment
      - Build/Test pipeline ephemeral broker for application testing
      purposes
   - Docker containers have many means to gain access to additional tooling
   not built-into an image
      - Because of this, having a minimal container is not overly-limiting
      - Of course, getting tools working with a process in a docker
      container can be challenging (e.g. not everyone will be
comfortable to use
      nsenter), so some basic tools may be good to have
   - Providing a basic, well-structured image enables more complex
   use-cases without having to clean-up / undo more advanced

Hope this helps.

Art