My understanding is that we will provide Airavata the capability to run and
manage jobs across different clusters. Suresh can confirm that.

Thanks and Regards,
Gourav Shenoy

On 9/23/16, 4:47 PM, "K Yoshimoto" <kenn...@sdsc.edu> wrote:

    What do you mean by "meta-scheduler" here?  Are you trying to
    coordinate running of jobs across or amongst a number of different
    clusters?

    On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 08:43:19PM +0000, Shenoy, Gourav Ganesh wrote:
    > Hi Dev,
    >
    > I am working on this project of building a Mesos based meta-scheduler for
Airavata, along with Shameera & Mangirish. Here is the jira link:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AIRAVATA-2082.

    > ·         We have identified some tasks that would be needed for
achieving this, and at the higher level it would consist of:

    > 1.       Resource provisioning – We need to provision resources on cloud
& hpc infrastructures such as EC2, Jetstream, Comet, etc.

    > 2.       Building a cluster – Deploying a Mesos cluster on set of nodes
obtained from (1) above for task management.

    > 3.       Selecting a scheduler – We need to investigate the scheduler to
use with Mesos cluster. Some of the options are Marathon, Aurora. But we need
to find one that suits our needs of running serial as well as parallel (MPI)
jobs.

    > 4.       Installing & running applications on this cluster – Once the
cluster has been deployed and a scheduler choice made, we need to be able to
install and run applications on this cluster using Airavata.

    > ·         Until now we were able to look into the following:
    >
    > o    Resource provisioning:
    >
    > §  We explored several options of provisioning resources – using cloud
libraries as well as via ansible scripts.

    > §  We built a OpenStack4J Java module which would provision instances on
OpenStack based clouds (eg: Jetstream).

    > §  We also built a CloudBridge Python module for provisioning EC2
instances on Amazon. CloudBridge can also be used to provision instances on
OpenStack

    > §  We wrote Ansible scripts for bringing up instances on both AWS and
OpenStack based clouds.

    > §  Key Points: CloudBridge, OpenStack4J are powerful libraries for
resource provisioning, but currently they do single-instance provisioning, and
not support templated boot options such as CloudFormation (for AWS) & Heat (for
OpenStack).

    > o    Building a cluster:
    >
    > §  We wrote Ansible script for deploying a Mesos-Marathon cluster on a
set of nodes. This script will install necessary dependencies such as Zookeeper.

    > §  We tested this on OpenStack based clouds & on EC2.
    >
    > §  OpenStack Magnum provides excellent support for doing resource
provisioning & deploying mesos cluster, but we are running into some problems
while trying it.

    > o    Installing a scheduler:
    >
    > §  Our Ansible script is currently installing Marathon as the scheduler
on Mesos. We haven’t yet submitted jobs using Marathon.

    > ·         Although not finalized, but we are inclined towards using
Ansible approach for the above, as Ansible also provides Python APIs and which
will allow us to integrate it with Airavata via Thrift. Hence we will be able
to easily invoke the Ansible scripts from code without needing to use the
command-line interface.

    > ·         We are also progressively working on some work-items such as:
    >
    > o    Exploring options to provision and deploy a Mesos-Marathon cluster
on HPC systems such as Comet. The challenge would be to use Ansible to
provision resources and deploy the cluster. Once we have a cluster, we can try
running applications.

    > o    Exploring different scheduler options for running serial and
parallel (MPI) jobs on such heterogeneous clusters.

    > o    Exploring orchestration options such as OpenStack Heat, AWS
CloudFormation, OpenStack Magnum, etc.