Same! I actually recently gave a talk about how my company uses airflow at
PyData DC. The video isn't live yet, but the slides are here
<http://www.slideshare.net/LauraLorenz4/how-i-learned-to-time-travel-or-data-pipelining-and-scheduling-with-airflow>.
In substance it's actually very similar to what you've written.

I have some airflow-specific ideas about ways to write custom sensors that
poll job apis (pretty common for us). We do dynamic generation of tasks
using external metadata by embedding an API call in the DAG definition
file, which I'm not sure is a best practice or not...

Anyways, if it makes sense to contribute these case studies for
consideration as a 'best practice', if this is the place or way to do it,
I'm game. I agree that the resources and thought leadership on ETL design
is fragmented, and think the Airflow community is fertile ground to provide
discussion about it.