Hi Guys,

Thanks for putting the thinking in! It is about time that we get this moving.

The design looks pretty sound. One can argue about the different roles that are
required, but that will be situation dependent I guess.

Implementation wise I would argue together with Max that FAB is a better or
best fit. The ER model that is being described is pretty much a copy of a
normal security model. So a reimplementation of that is 1) significant
duplication of effort and 2) bound to have bugs that have been solved in the
other framework. Moreover, FAB does have integration out of the box with some
enterprisey systems like IPA, ActiveDirectory, and LDAP.

So while you argue that using FAB would increase the scope of the proposal
significantly, but I think that is not true. Using FAB would allow you to focus
on what kind of out-of-the-box permission sets and roles we would need and
maybe address some issues that FAB lacks (maybe how to deal with non web access
- ie. in DAGs, maybe Kerberos, probably how to deal with API calls that are not
CRUD). Implementation wise it probably simplifies what we need to do. Maybe -
using Max’s early POC as an example - we can slowly move over?

On a side note: Im planning to hire 2-3 ppl to work on Airflow coming year.
Improvement of Security, Enterprise Integration, Revamp UI are on the todo
list. However, this is not confirmed yet as business priorities might change.

Bolke.