Our DAG deployment is already a separate deployment from Airflow itself.

The issue is that the Airflow binary (whether acting as webserver,
scheduler, worker), is the one that *reads* the DAG files. So if you have,
for example, a DAG that has this import statement in it:

import mylib.foobar

Then the only way to successfully interpret this DAG definition in the
Airflow process, is if you package the Airflow binary with the mylib.foobar
dependency.

This implies that every time you add a new dependency in one of your DAG
definitions, you have to re-deploy Airflow itself, not just the DAG
definitions.