Hi..

+1 This is nice idea!. Yeah we can go with developer only template switcher
by
 placing new template files separately. I think making things responsive is
not hard
for many of existing template components. I just tested it by using
chrome's DOM
editor see https://i.imgur.com/3zOxXVQ.png making width responsive + media
queries
would work for many (I mean without changing the structure of existing DOM)

Some components may have additional effort for making responsive eg -
Discussion
comments (We might need to add show comments button to see replies for
smaller screens)

I will also like contribute this responsive support work

Cheers!

--
Regards,
*Shalitha Suranga*