I have been wondering about the next steps myself, I'm eager to get at
least the demoed functionality to a usable state soon. If you like, we
could have a call one of these days?

Randall &/| Benjamin, would you then like to join? Otherwise I'd be glad
to catch up some other time with the two of you (and perhaps other
interested people!).

- Gerben

PS for your interest, I think the term "direct linking" was inherited
from Hypothesis; via.hypothes.is <https://via.hypothes.is> is very
similar to what you are making (as you probably already knew).