Thanks for posting that here, Oliver!

We'll probably have to take those questions one at a time. 🙂 I'd actually like
to start with the last one--as it spells out some target APIs and code.

> 3. What do you think will be the challenges to get Apache Annotator work on
> both a reader and a full-html version?

If I understand the use case correctly, you're wanting annotation on something
like Firefox's "reader view" (where the original HTML is stripped away, and
only the content remains) and wanting those same annotations to be
re-anchor-able on the original HTML (and vice versa).

If that's indeed what you're after, then the "hard" part is making sure we have
a way for implementations to "opt-in" to fuzzy anchoring when they both create
and use an annotation.

For starters, you could simply store the TextQuoteSelector which *should*
re-anchor on both those representations (and possibly even on a PDF), but it
would come at the cost of performance on large documents. So, what you'd want
to follow that up with is additional, narrower, more brittle selectors which
would (knowingly) fail when you switch representations, but would give you
better performance on a specific representation--i.e. you'd have an XPath or
CSS selector for the original HTML which would fail on the "reader" and/or
"PDF" view at which point you'd (knowingly) fall back to the TextQuoteSelector.

I think the core "plumbing" for that is already available, but Randall or
Gerben would know better. 🙂

Is that what you're after?

Cheers,
Benjamin