On Fri, 04 Apr 2003, Nicola Ken Barozzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> * is not as transparent as you say.  Tasks could only use the URI
>> if they first check that the object is is our version of File and
>> cast to it.
>
> No... that's not how it's supposed to be. What other method do they
> need?

You are willing to do more in the File subclass than me.

I thought all you wanted was a way to pass an URI to certain tasks
where it is not possible to use them right now.  Tasks that only
convert the file name to an URI and pass it up to something else for
further processing (and this "something else" already knows how to
deal with different protocols).

Now I understand that you are trying to move to a complete VFS
abstraction with you innocent looking request ;-)

I'm not sure whether subclassing java.io.File is the best way to do
this.  Does commons-vfs do so?  Before we invest too much time and
energy in writing our own layer, we should seriously consider looking
for existing alternatives.