On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Jose Alberto Fernandez
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Two years ago (or was it three?)

One.

> this proposal got nowhere because it got picked appart to death.

I've seen the danger myself, this is why I've delayed my responses
today.

In the end we are not that far apart at all.  Let's get the things
together then.

* antlib needs a way to define mappings between names and classes.

Costin prefers a properties file.  Most others prefer XML.

My argument for XML is the extensibility.  We will need versioning, we
will need some statement of pre-reqs (like this antlib requires
log4j), we will need additional capabilities we do not see now.

We certainly could put this into MANIFEST.MF, but it would be hard to
put all of this into a properties file.  I like to keep the
information in a single place, so properties plus manifest is no good
idea IMHO.

* if we are having problems with roles right now, lets start small.

Let's make a version of antlib that knows about two predefined roles,
task and data-type.  I think this is already feature complete in the
proposal (which does even more).

Let's move this code with the restriction to tasks and types into the
main branch ASAP.  Let's sort out the classloading requirements as
well as the interplay of antlib with taskdef and typedef here.

After this flies, I'd expect us to get roles sorted out.  If we feel
like removing the difference between tasks and types, we can do so
then as well.