On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, peter reilly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have implemented a generalization of FilterChain's usage of
> DynamicConfigurator in IntrospectionHelper.  This extends the
> introspection support to include methods of the form:

Yes, that's one way to implement it.  The tricky part starts if you
want to support polymorphism for more than one nested element.

Say class PathThatIgnoresBuildSysclassPathToTrickGump extends Path
and you want to use it in <javac> which has several nested elements
that are Paths.

My, will I ever by able to keep focused on one thread at a time 8-)

> 2) As a consequence of 1), the same identifier by be used to point
> to different classes.

I see

<manifest> as data type - the one you'd use for refid usage - is
implemented by a different class than the <manifest> task.  Luckily we
never declared a data-type named manifest.

> 3) they provide an optional adaptor to allow classes that do not
> support a requred interface.

This may be out of scope for antlib and in scope for the polymorphism
debate.

> My feeling is that roles are not needed to support dynamic
> conditions, filters ..., in fact I do not think that typedef is
> needed:

I agree.  At least no formal definition of a role.