On 2016-12-14, Matt Sicker wrote:

> When it comes to version numbers, I'm more concerned about following
> semantic versioning than whether or not it's a major release. Bugfixes
> warrant micro version updates, while new features warrant minor version
> updates (and backward incompatible API changes are for the major version).

I'm not sure how Ivy has decided on its version numbers in the past, but
for Ant we've never followed semantic versioning that strictly. In
particular we've created lots of micro releases that contained new
features and most of the time created minor versions when we changed JDK
requirements. In a sense we've shifted semantic versioning to the right
and never created major releases (and neither pure bugfix releases),
maybe because Ant2 could bring up some ghosts of the far past. :-)

As much as I like semantic versioning (and use it in other projects),
I'd prefer to stay consistent with the way versions have been used in
prior releases.