During a discussion about goals for Ivy 2.5, I mentioned generics [1].
I was looking into the matter because I was investigating how IvyDE hooks
into Ivy and I didn't quite like what I saw.
I'd like to generify Ivy as much as possible for 2.5 (staying binary
compatible, of course) so that decisions for the next release could be more
informed.

Should you agree, I'd finish the work with two more commits (one for core
and one for plugins package) -- I pushed two commits already that ended up
in PR #45.

Now, I'll digress, but I believe it's worth mentioning. Apart from
generics, there's one last thing I'd like to have in Ivy 2.5, and that's
SVG in Ivy reports. I only heard one opinion (which was positive) about the
non-limbless ant in vectorised Ivy logo, and no protests, so I take it as a
silent approval :-) BTW I hope asciidoc can inline SVG in HTML, although
some repeating icons would better be placed in CSS (as mentioned in
comments to PR #39).

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ant-dev/201705.mbox/%3CCALVNWHXiZPVJmKimTB9Qxo9u6%2BNX%2Br7Kpmk3uvZvqtUxLQpekQ%40mail.gmail.com%3E

Gintas