I'm now done with the initial goals that I had in mind for this task. I've opened a PR[1] for review. I've included a manual for this task and it can be currently found here[2]. I would suggest reading the manual first, before reviewing the PR, since the manual will give an overall idea of what's being attempted with this task.

Except for the "fork" mode which is available in our existing junit task and which was was in the TODO list, in my previous mail, the rest have been implemented in this version. I plan to focus on the "fork" mode after this task is made available to users and any feedback received.

I have tried to address some of the (internal) technicalities, based on some discussions that I have seen about JUnit, XML reporter and such, are around OOMs issues when it comes to sysout and syserr handling. Result formatters, which can be configured as listeners, are allowed to say "sendSysOut" and/or "sendSysErr". In such cases, the task will (internally) redirect the sysout/syserr to a PipedOutputStream (which is backed by a PipedInputStream). The task also sets up 2 separate threads - one which reads the PipedInputStream and "feeds" it to the second thread which "delivers" this content to such result formatters. The necessity to use a separate thread to deliver the content of sysout/syserr is so that we don't run into deadlocks (as noted in the Javadoc of Piped(output/input)Stream class) if/when the result formatters themselves write something out to sysout/syserr when they are working on this incoming sysout/syserr content.

We have 3 pre-defined formatters all of which are capable of receiving this streamed sysout/syserr data. Each of these do _not_ hold on to this sysout/syserr data in-memory during the execution and instead stream it out a temporary file. Once the execution completes and it's time to present the result, these formatters stream/read back the content from the temp file and write it out in a formatted manner to the target report files.

Furthermore, the XML formatter doesn't use DOM and instead is based on Stax for writing out the report. However, even with all this, there's one place where I haven't yet been able to avoid reading the whole generated sysout/syserr data into memory (thus potentially triggering an OOM) - it's the XMLStreamWriter API which for writing out a CDATA section (which is what we use for sysout/syserr content) in XML, expects the entire String object. I'll have to see if there are ways to avoid it, but I think this still is an improvement since this loaded content is only held on for a short while in memory, during the report writing and will be immediately garbage collected once that's done.

Please review the PR - mostly the Ant specific constructs and implementation details.

[1] https://github.com/apache/ant/pull/60

[2] https://builds.apache.org/job/Ant-Build-Jaikiran/ws/manual/Tasks/junitlauncher.html

[3] https://github.com/apache/ant/pull/60/files#diff-f985f89ce4779eff2cdcf164d09d5396R308

-Jaikiran