In order to move towards a release soon, I decided to come up with an initial set of instructions that we might have to follow to generate the release. Most of the instructions have been borrowed from Ant's release process. Furthermore, the instructions are based on my checking out the release build file and other such docs and as such hasn't been tried or verified. That's going to be the next step.

The release instructions file resides here https://github.com/apache/ant-ivy/blob/master/release-instructions.adoc and will needs edits/updates/fixes as we try it out. There's also some sections which have TODOs and we will have to add details to those sections.

Jan/Stefan/Nicolas, given your past experience with the project and releases in general, would you be willing to initiate this process? The first round of this might not be publicly usable and we might have to redo the steps as and when we fix things in the release process. So maybe we should attempt an intermediate release before doing a 2.5.0.

I understand the release process is time consuming, so if neither of you would be able to get to this and if there's no objections, I can initiate these steps (and ask for specific help as I go along) for an intermediate release. Once this goes well, we can then have any of us do the final release (which should be much smoother).

-Jaikiran