On 19/08/21 1:15 pm, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
On 2021-08-05, Jaikiran Pai wrote:

Ant project will be impacted by this. Ant provides a "permissions"
type[1] whose whole goal is to integrate with the Java SecurityManager
to allow users to configure the necessary security permissions. With
the SecurityManager and the APIs potentially gone after Java 17, we
can no longer support this. One additional point to note here is that,
Ant also uses the SecurityManager APIs even when "permissions" type is
not involved, at least in the "java" task and the "junit" task, where
we setup a SecurityManager with very minimal permissions.
... One migration option might be to offer an antlib containing the
permissions stuff and deprecate the core types - and remove them from
core once the next Java LTS version without SecurityManager arrives.

This is an interesting point. It would however mean that core Ant will now depend on an (in theory external) antlib. I haven't checked if we already have such dependencies and if not, whether it's OK to add such a dependency. Furthermore, to make this usable/backward compatible, we would have to use the same package namespace for this permissions stuff in that new antlib jar, which I think can cause issues when the same package "org.apache.tools.ant.types" is now loaded/available in 2 separate CodeSources (jars) - one in core Ant jar and one in this antlib jar.