On Sat, Sep 23, 2017 at 9:11 AM, Vlad Rozov <vro...@apache.org> wrote:

> Closing PR does not mean that the work submitted for a review is lost. It
> is preserved on a contributor fork. All comments and discussion are also
> preserved and PR can be re-open if/when a contributor have time to look
> into it.

Closed PRs don't show up in the main list, folks will typically not go into
the closed PR list. Items in the main list could catch someone's attention.

PR can be closed by any committer who was involved into the discussion with
> a proper comment.

> It is 1 month of inactivity on the PR. Note that PR review is also done
> during spare time and recollecting what happened on an inactive PR after 3
> month or a year requires extra time/effort from a committer and everyone
> who were involved into the review.

Yes, referring to the same. This would not apply in the usual cases but
would be the maximum time period in case of inactivity. One month can
easily pass if you are distracted with something, it has happened to me a
few times for example when something comes up at work. One month seems
short, draconian and unnecessary. A longer time period is needed. While it
might take some extra effort from the reviewer and/or contributor it does
not pose an undue burden, they can quickly come upto speed looking at the
PR log. If the PR were closed and reopened it would be the same. Worse if
the PR was closed and a new PR were opened for the same code, the old log
would probably not show up and then we need additional guidelines to link
the old one, so the concerns raised earlier are still addressed.

Majority of projects that have hundreds outstanding PRs did not yet move to
> gitbox and do not have write access to their github repos. For such
> projects closing and opening closed PRs requires additional effort if
> possible at all.

Not many projects are on gitbox so we don't know which way they would go,
so you are right in that we cannot assess them based on their current
state, even though I do see some examples of this on gitbox, like
cloudstack. In any case, we don't have to necessarily follow what other
projects do and can determine what works best for us. Normally I would
prefer PRs to remain open for longer for reasons above, but a period like 3
months should be fine.

Thanks