A shame it would be and sad for those of us who have put a lot of effort
into the project. But not surprising to have reached this point at all. We
should face reality or not?

The crux of the matter is that Apache projects are community first and not
a parking lot for code bases.

Apex code base was great few years ago and there was nothing like it but
then also nobody knew because it wasn't open source. Data processing is a
super fast moving space. Apex code base stalled and advantages Apex once
had are all but gone. Now it has fallen quite far behind other options out
there, including Apache projects with vibrant communities that include
enthusiastic contributors and users committed to return something for what
they take.

Users of Apex are all but invisible. It is irrelevant if someone has a fork
in the backyard. What matters is activity that everyone can follow and the
give and take that can lead to growth. The Apex project started as
marketing campaign of a failed vendor and though few of us were hoping that
would change over time, it didn't.

What reasons are there to adopt Apex today?

* No support for k8s as deployment platform (doesn't even support latest
YARN version)
* No UI
* No observability story
* No plans to support Java 11 (new LTS version)
* ...

And most importantly no community to change any of that.

One can deny the ground reality and continue to pretend there is life in
Apex. But as it stands, all roads lead to attic. Without contributions and
releases I don't see why we should prolong this march. There were few
announcements for related work, but no follow-through.

I would vote for attic, but would be pleasantly surprised to see reasons
not to.

Thomas