Ian Laurenson wrote:
Hi Jürgen,

Also on that first step is the possibility to download rating / review
information.

The second step allows the user to see and select updates for add-ons
and templates that they already have installed. For add-ons I  think
that this could be done by checking the names of installed UNO packages
against the names of packages in the downloaded information file. I
confess that I haven't checked the feasibility of this yet.

Also on this step it is possible to upload rating / review information
to the central site.

[...]

Steps 3 - 6 are to help the user find their desired add-on or template.

Step 7 is to display dependency information (add-on 50 is dependent on
add-on 12 so add-on 12 should be included).

On clicking install, all the selected add-ons and templates get
downloaded and installed. The add-ons would all be standard UNO
packages.

I have no preconceived preferences for the uploading of the files to the
central site. Whether it be from within OpenOffice.org or through a web
interface.

I think that some members of the OpenOffice.org community should have
the responsibility for checking uploaded files for malicious content.
The wizard has a check box for eliminating from the displayed list those
add-ons or templates that haven't been checked.

I hope it is clear from the above, that I am not proposing a different
format for UNO packages, but I am trying to find a way of helping users
to find UNO package to meet their needs, and to do that may require an
additional file with information about available UNO packages.

Thanks, Ian

That's how I understood your idea and I like it. At the moment from my point of view (and I'm a software developer) the install dialog is too complex and overloaded.

As already stated before I'd volunteer to set up a system to let developers upload their addons/addins/plugins/templates and users download.

I hope I have time on weekend to spent sometime and really think about the file-format and maybe come up with a idea of the install-gui needs and work-flow (don't expect too much I'm not a very good GUI-Designer :-)