Hi Andrew,

we all know you as Basic expert, if you identify this kind of problems feel free to change it in the wiki directly. That is the main advantage of the wiki. You can change things on the fly. And of course it was main reason to shift to the wiki, to make contributions easier.

Clayton please correct me if i am wrong.

Juergen

Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:
Clayton, I am using a BCC to copy you directly, because I think that I really need to ask you about this. I am sending directly to the api list as a backup.

I do not want to complain too loudly, since I really like these Wiki pages, but...

I have seen errors in the documentation regarding the Case statement over the years. I think that some have been fixed (like in the help), but I found one on the Wiki today. I was making minor changes to the Wiki, but I really do not want to change this unless the Wiki is the master.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/BASIC_Guide/Branching

This incorrectly states :

Select Case Var
Case Var > 8 And Var < 11 ' ... Var is greater than 8 and less than 11

This is not correct. In fact, it is not even close. What it really does, is to evaluate (Var > 8 AND Var < 11), which returns a value of 0 (False) or -1 (True), and then compares Var to 0 or -1.

you can do something tricky like the following, but that is pretty slick, which makes me think that Bernard Marcelly came up with it, but I do not remember now:

Case Var XOR NOT(Var>8 AND Var< 11)

Better to use "To" if you can use equality rather than inequality.

Case 8 To 11

In my book, I have a creative IIF statement to deal with this as well.