Hi Mathias,

thank you for your comments!

Please see inline comments.

On 15.07.2010 09:40, Mathias Bauer wrote:
> On 14.07.2010 11:37, Rony G. Flatscher wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> so far I have been under the assumptions that the list of properties
>> that one is able to supply to the XPrintable.print(...) method matches
>> the options that can be given in the GUI of the respective component
>> type. This way each document type would have a common set of properties,
>> but also additional print properties it would honor. Then, that's what I
>> was expecting, the task would be to find the documentation of the print
>> properties of the respective document type.
>>
>> Now, trying to print a presentation and taking advantage of its GUI
>> defined print properties programmatically (i.e. print the presentation
>> in form of handouts, where each page would depict a programmatically
>> defined number of slides per printed page)  seems to not be possible. At
>> least I cannot find any documentation or working examples for this.
>>
>> So, two questions:
>>
>>      * Is it intended that the print properties for
>> XPrintable.print(...)
>>        allow for defining all print options that the document type's GUI
>>        allows for?
>
> There are two different kinds of such properties - the print options
> (those are passe to the "print" call) and the print settings (that are
> general printer options set with a "setPrinter" call). The generic
> services are defined in the css.view package.
>
> At least that was the plan. Reality obviously is different.

It still would help *tremendeously* everyone else in the world who is
not acquainted with the gory details of OOo programming, if this simple
rule would be at least implemented now for every document/component type.

Currently, printing is much more too effortful than really necessary,
besides, there are document types which seem to be impossible to be
addressed by customers of the UNO APIs as they lack the knowledge (and
also the documentation!) that the core OOo developers have at their command.

> To my knowledge none of our applications have own print options
> (though the API would allow to treat it as you described it). At least
> there is no documentation for additional print options, so basically
> they don't exist. ;-)
>
> Writer has its own PrintSettings Service (css.text.PrintSettings)
> defined, but I failed to find comparable service definitions for the
> other applications.
That's a very interesting information, thank you very much !

>>        (simpress components) such, that one can programmatically print
>>        handouts with multiple slides per printed page?
>      * How can one exploit the GUI print options for presentations
>
> It seems that the Impress developers didn't implement that. I also
> couldn't find a setPrinter() implementation in Writer, though - as
> mentioned above - there is a service definition for PrinterSettings in
> the css.text IDL.
>
> It seems that printer settings are set through the DocumentSettings
> services of the applications. I discovered the text PrinterSettings
> properties in the css.text.DocumentSettings and, amongst others, a
> "IsPrintHandout" property in the css.presentation.DocumentSettings.
Yes, Ariel Constenla-Haile was kind enough to share his findings in
<http://api.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=22705> (start
of the thread:
<http://api.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=22704>). As a
result I have experimented more than an hour with all kind of
properties, but have not been able to become successful!
:(

Again, any ideas, hints, docs howto print impress docuemnts as handouts
with multiple slides per page would be very welcome!

Regards,

---rony