On Sat, Feb 24, 2001 at 11:31:49AM -0600, William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> [...]

I don't disagree with wanting Unicode filenames. I completely disagree with
APIs that change their semantics based on the platform they are compiled on.

If I have an application that I desire to be portable, then I'm going to use
APR to do it. In my app, I call apr_file_open(some_8bit_name). That should
work on all platforms. With the current single API, it will break on NT when
compiled with the Unicode stuff.

None of the APIs change their semantics. They exist or they don't, but they
don't change.

The answer is to have apr_file_open_u() for opening with Unicode filenames,
not changing the encoding of the existing apr_file_open. You completely
break all possibility of writing portable apps when you do that. And APR is
*about* writing portable apps.

Cheers,
-g

--