i'm a bit of an I18N novice, but doesn't it all just magically work if you
use UTF-8 encoding everywhere?

UTF-8 deliberately avoids using \0 and / in the encodings.  plain ascii
works unmodified.  unix filesystems generally support UTF-8 directly
(because of the \0 and / avoidance).

this allows you to have a single API which understands unicode on all
platforms -- you don't need to have _u versions which take unicode
strings.

give this page a perusal:  http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/unicode.html

-dean