On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 1:36 PM, Jim Jagielski <j...@jagunet.com> wrote:

> > No, it's a design error.  There's not much helping that... once it
> > ships, that's our implementation.  Might caution us to provide more
> > careful code review before n.n.0 releases on new features.
>

> Soooo.... if apr_snprintf("%d" were to, on every 50th int, print
> it out in decimal form, that would be a "design error"? :)

That's a terrible analogy :)

> If so, how can we call it a "skiplist" which has a set of compliant
> expectations? It's not a skiplist implementation at all since it
> is broken.

That's a useful point.  FWIW I very quickly found the doc of an alternative
skiplist implementation that says

---cut here---
You can enable duplicate keys by using the following:

(sample code to create a skiplist via a non-default argument)

This is an experimental feature. See the "KNOWN ISSUES" section below.
---cut here---

I suppose there's no way to avoid different camps on this: a particular
treatment of duplicates by the code that's been released is so basic that
an app would likely be dependent on it vs. any callers anticipated that
duplicates would be handled in a different way and we need to fix it.

IMO here are the salient points:

* There's no problem making a backwards-compatible, "compliant"
implementation in the APR 1.6.x branch by adding more APIs.
* There's no problem making APR trunk behave however is appropriate for the
long term with no qualms about supporting existing code
* httpd has the issue now, and most people that responded to my query on
the httpd list thought it was a good idea for httpd to have its own copy
that can more easily track httpd needs without adding any speed bumps to
httpd users picking up the new level (i.e., upgrading APR, whether it is a
new APR 1.5.x or 1.6.x); (I happen to think that's better for APR in the
long term, but perhaps that's just me.)

==> The APR issue doesn't have to be solved immediately or by finely
parsing what is or is not potential application breakage in order to help
httpd.

--
Born in Roswell... married an alien...
http://emptyhammock.com/