On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 5:49 AM, Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 08.12.2017 12:35, Joe Orton wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 06, 2017 at 10:06:22AM -0600, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
>>> They trust the compiler to do the right things, so there is no special
>>> sauce added to apr-config. Respective build flags land in
>>> /usr/lib/apr-1/build/
>>> /usr/lib64/apr-1/build/
>> We do have to hack /usr/bin/apr-1-config to do:
>>
>> CPPFLAGS=`pkg-config --variable=CPPFLAGS apr-1`
>>
>> because that file has to be identical across both 32- and 64-bit builds.
>> Otherwise we get RPM file conflicts when trying to install both i686 and
>> x86_64 apr-devel at the same time.
>>
>> Because there is no way to actually thread the choice of arch through
>> pkg-config and the myriad /usr/bin/*-config files, this stuff is a gross
>> hack, isn't really widely used in practice, and I don't see much point
>> in trying to solve "properly".  It's quite likely 32-bit arches will all
>> be dead by the time we managed it :)

Considering I might have parallel libs for Intel and ARM and Power
at this point, lib/ and lib64/ is sort of an underwhelming hack. But
the autogunk arch cross-compile model for lib/ is helpful.

> Ooh, I'm getting a 64-bit RPi? Sounds fabulous. :)

If you gain a RPi 3, you have one. You're just probably running a
32-bit OS... unless you want to spin up a 64-bit kernel for ARMv8.
With 1GB and limited 'disk', I'd avoid spinning a dual-arch kernel.

How 32 vs 64 libs are managed is an architecture choice, Michael
would probably want to follow IBM's example in the case of AIX.