Hi Martin,
Where to start is always a good question :-)
Regarding JPA it concerns only redback-core part as we do not use anymore
database in archiva core.
IMHO this one can be fun to implement (remember we cannot use library such
hibernate because GPL but jpa has many other implementation even @ apache
:-) )
Otherwise have a look at issues scheduled for 2.2.2
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MRM/fixforversion/12335832/

HTH
Olivier

--