I just had a discussion with Panu Hämäläinen about the DiscoveryPlugin mechanism. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARIES-1613 and https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARIES-1614 .

What he needs is to have two zones of services, a backend zone and a frontend zone.

The (or some) services in the backend will be published with http. Inside the backend zone the services should be available using this http url.

In the frontend zone these services should also be visible but their url should point to a proxy server that offer a https connection and potentially some additional security mechanisms.

So we can not simply have one (zookeeper or other) discovery view. Instead we need a different discovery view for backend and frontend and some mechanism to make some services from one zone available in the other while also applying some changes like pointing to a proxy.

Do you think it makes sense to support this case in Aries RSA in some way?

I thought we might also be able to interact with one of the existing proxy servers to automatically register the proxy for each service. Such a mechanism is very typically for cloud enabled architectures. So that might also bring us nearer to good cloud support.

I would be happy about any ideas and feedback.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de