So lets think about a practical example. We want to expose a REST service that is visible to the inside via its direct url on the server that exposes the service and also via a proxy server where this service will have a different url.

So the server side topology manager would detect that the service is to be published. It would call the distribution provider to export the service.

The provider would then return two ExportRegistrations one for the direct access and one for the access over the proxy. They could each have a special property like "zone" to distinguish them (like "backend" and "frontend").

The TopologyManager on the front end client side then could be configured to only consider Endpoints that have (zone=frontend) for imports.

I think on the client I like this approach. It would also need only minimal additions to the TopologyManager code. We would either need a config setting for a import filter or a SPI where the user can supply custom filtering logic.

On the server side I am not so sure. The distribution provider would need to know about the proxy and it might even need to communicate with it to get the alias address for the service it exports. Another problem is that in such a scenario the server administrator would be able to poke new holes into the firewall. On the positive side I agree that the DistributionProvider might know more about the details of the protocol to be qualified to create a suitable address than the TopologyManager.

Generally I think I would prefer a more central approach where you have a system that is part of the firewall that manages which services to expose to the outside world. Maybe this can also be done with Remote Service Admin.

How about this:

See http://liquid-reality.de/display/liquid/Zones+for+Aries+RSA

We use a system with two instances of the zookeeper discovery. One that communicates with the backend zookeeper and one that communicates with the frontend zookeeper.

The backend discovery would report all internal services to the TopologyManager. The TopologyManager would select the backend services for import using a special proxy DistributionProvider.

The proxy DistributionProvider would create an OSGi service with the necessary prorperties to be exported as a proxy for the frontend. The TopologyManager would detect this service and export it using the same proxy DistributionProvider which would create an ExportRegistration with the url of the proxy Endpoint it would also either implement an HTTP Proxy for the service or configure an external proxy server.

This approach might even be able to cover both cases the case where we have one zookeeper with all addresses and the case where we have spearate zookeepers for frontend and backend.

If I understand correctly then the Endpoint information for the proxy service would always be sent to all discovery providers, or can the TopologyManager select where to export it? If it can not then I think we would need a filtering config for the zookeeper discovery so the frontend zookeeper will only contain the frontend services and the backend zookeeper would only contain the backend services.

What do you think?

Christian