So I think the issue is that we are serializing record batches in a distributed fashion, and then concatenating them in the streaming format. However, the message serialization only aligns the start of the buffers, which requires it to know the current absolute offset of the output stream. Would there be any problem with padding the end of the message, so any single serialized record batch would always be a multiple of 8 bytes?

I've put together a branch that does this, and the existing java tests all pass. I'm having some trouble running the integration tests though.

Thanks,

Emilio