Hi all,

I wanted to open up a conversation here regarding developing a Java-based JDBC
Adapter for Apache Arrow. I have had a preliminary discussion with Wes McKinney
and Siddharth Teotia on this a couple weeks earlier.

Basically at a high level (over-simplified) this adapter/API will allow
upstream apps to query RDBMS data over JDBC and get the JDBC objects converted
to Arrow in-memory (JVM) objects/structures. The upstream utility can then work
with Arrow objects/structures with usual performance benefits. The utility will
be very much similar to C++ implementation of "Convert a vector of row-wise
data into an Arrow table" as described here -
https://arrow.apache.org/docs/cpp/md_tutorials_row_wise_conversion.html.

How useful this adapter would be and which other Apache projects would benefit
from this? Based on the usability we can open a JIRA for this activity and
start looking into the implementation details.

Regards,
-Atul Dambalkar