This sounds reasonable to me but my main concern is, I'm not sure there is
a great mechanism to enforce canonical layouts don't somehow become default
(or the only implementation).

Even for these new layouts, I think it might be worth rethinking binding a
layout into the schema versus having a different concept of encoding (and
changing some of the corresponding data structures).