Thanks Weston. That all sounds reasonable to me.

>  with the caveat that the primary layout must be emitted if the user does not
> specifically request the alternative layout

This implies that each canonical alternative layout would codify a
primary layout as its "fallback." This seems reasonable but it opens
up some cans of worms, such as how two components communicating
through an Arrow interface would negotiate which layout is supported.
I suppose such details should be discussed in a separate thread, but I
raise this here just to point out that it implies an expansion in the
scope of what Arrow interfaces can do.