Sounds like a plan to me. I don't have any objections.

In the far future, I'd like to merge these readers, otherwise, you'll end
up with many configuration permutations. This makes it challenging to test
each permutation. But first having it as an option in 1.9 is a good idea,
so we can battle test the new reader.

Cheers, Fokko