Hi Mchael,

Thank you for bringing this up. I agree, but I'm not sure how we're going
to migrate the users to the avro package.

Rijprojectnum_downloads
1
avro
885838
2
avro-python3
147313

A quick query on bigquery, that contains all the pypi downloads shows that
the python3 package is more popular. Maybe we should add a deprecation
warning in 1.10.0?

Cheers,
Fokko

The query:
SELECT file.project, COUNT(*) AS num_downloads
FROM `the-psf.pypi.downloads*`
WHERE file.project IN ('avro-python3', 'avro')
  -- Only query the last 30 days of history
  AND _TABLE_SUFFIX
    BETWEEN FORMAT_DATE(
      '%Y%m%d', DATE_SUB(CURRENT_DATE(), INTERVAL 30 DAY))
    AND FORMAT_DATE('%Y%m%d', CURRENT_DATE())
GROUP BY file.project