Very excited to hear that there's work on JDK9 support - is there a public
description of the plans for this work somewhere?

In general, Beam could probably drop Java7 support altogether at some point
soon: Java7 has reached end-of-life (i.e. it's not receiving even security
patches) 2 years ago, and all major players in the data processing
ecosystem have dropped Java7 support (Spark, Flink, Hadoop), so I presume
the demand for Java7 support in the data processing industry is low. By the
way: would a Java8 migration be in the scope of your work in general?

However, until we say that Beam requires Java8, what would be the
implications of using a version of AutoValue that can only be compiled with
Java8? Are you saying that this is simply a matter of a compiler bug, and
if we use a Java8 compiler but configured to use source and target versions
of 1.7 and using bootclasspath of rt.jar from 1.7, then the resulting Beam
artifacts will be usable by people who don't have Java8?