Great that you are also working on this too Daniel and thanks for
bringing this subject to the mailing list, I was waiting to  my return
to office next week, but you did it first :)

Eugene for reference (This is the issue on the migration to Java 9),
notice that here the goal is first that beam passes mvn clean install
with pure Java 9 (and also add this to jenkins), not to rewrite
anything to use the new stuff (e.g. modules):
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-2530

Eugene can you also PTAL at the AutoValue issue, more details on the
issue, this is a warning so I don't know if it is really critical in
particular because we are not using Memoization (do we?).
https://github.com/google/auto/issues/503
https://github.com/google/auto/commit/71514081f2ca6fb4ead2b7f0a25f5d02247b8532

Wouldn't the easiest way be that you guys convince the google.auto
guys to generate that simple fix in a Java 7 compatible way and
'voila' ?

However I agree that moving to Java 8 is an excellent idea and as
Eugene mentions there is less friction now since most projects are
moving, only pending issue are existing clusters on java 7 in the
hadoop world, but those are less frequent now. Anyway this discussion
is really important (maybe even worth a vote). Because moving to Java
8 will allow us also to move some of the dependencies that we are
keeping in old versions and in general to move forward.

What do the others think ?