It is a good point that this is a breaking change for users of Java 7.
Assuming we wait until 3.0.0 to drop Java 7 support, and that we wait a
while to do a major version bump, I support deprecating support now for
sure.

If we had a very strong signal that we would not really break anyone, I
would be open to a minor version that kept API compatibility while moving
our build to Java 8, even though it technically violates semantic
versioning. We don't have to be dogmatic - acceptable backwards
incompatibility occurs all the time in the form of bugfixes (the new
behavior is by definition different) or security-related updates.

Also worth remembering that the portability framework can separate runner /
SDK Java generation just as though they are separate languages.