Le 31 janv. 2018 20:16, "Reuven Lax" <re...@google.com> a écrit :

As to the question of how a schema should be specified, I want to support
several common schema formats. So if a user has a Json schema, or an Avro
schema, or a Calcite schema, etc. there should be adapters that allow
setting a schema from any of them. I don't think we should prefer one over
the other. While Romain is right that many people know Json, I think far
fewer people know Json schemas.

Agree but schema would get an API for beam usage - dont think there is a
standard we can use and we cant use any vendor specific api in beam - so
not a big deal IMO/not a blocker.

Agree, schemas should not be enforced (for one thing, that wouldn't be
backwards compatible!). I think for the initial prototype I will probably
use a special coder to represent the schema (with setSchema an option on
the coder), largely because it doesn't require modifying PCollection.
However I think longer term a schema should be an optional piece of
metadata on the PCollection object. Similar to the previous discussion
about "hints," I think this can be set on the producing PTransform, and a
SetSchema PTransform will allow attaching a schema to any PCollection (i.e.
pc.apply(SetSchema.of(schema))). This part isn't designed yet, but I think
schema should be similar to hints, it's just another piece of metadata on
the PCollection (though something interpreted by the model, where hints are
interpreted by the runner)

Schema should probably be contributable from the transform when mandatory -
thinking of avro io here - or an hint as fallback when optional probably.
This sounds good to me and doesnt require another public API than hint.

Reuven