For findbugs we suppressed ~everything and filed bugs, so that might also
be a way to get started to get errorprone on the main build.

Another framework worth looking at is the Checker framework, which has
analysis mathematically proven to always prevent all NPEs. So that would
replace the most important (IMO) use of findbugs with greater rigor. (it is
actually not about specifically NPEs being a big danger, but about
elevating the level of our code to "no NPEs possible" style, as it is more
readable, maintainable, flexible)

Kenn