Hi,

Has anyone started on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-2588
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-2588> (FlinkRunner shim for serving
Job API). If not I would start on that.

My plan is to implement a FlinkJobService that implements JobServiceImplBase,
similar to ReferenceRunnerJobService. This would have a lot of the
functionality that FlinkRunner currently has. As a next step, I would add a
JobServiceRunner that can submit Pipelines to a JobService.

For testing, I would probably add functionality that allows spinning up a
JobService in-process with the JobServiceRunner. I can imagine for testing we
could even eventually use something like:
"--runner=JobServiceRunner", "--streaming=true",
"--jobService=FlinkRunnerJobService".

Once all of this is done, we only need the python component that talks to the
JobService to submit a pipeline.

What do you think about the plan?

Btw, I feel that the thing currently called Runner, i.e. FlinkRunner will go
way in the long run and we will have FlinkJobService, SparkJobService and
whatnot, what do you think?

Aljoscha