There are plenty of technical hurdles since Bazel is best suited to an
isolated monorepo. We could probably have overcome those problems with
effort. I got through a few of them in the short sprint I did. Ultimately
it was a community-driven decision: more people (as in "more than just me"
:-) jumped on board and got excited about building out the Gradle build.

Kenn