I agree that there is some confusion about concepts. Here are several
concepts which have come up in discussions, as I see them (not official
names).

*Metric*

   - For the purposes of my document, I have been referring to a Metric as
   any sort of information the SDK can send to the Runner
      - This does not mean only quantitative, aggregated values.
      - This can include other useful '*monitoring information*', for
      supporting debugging/monitoring scenarios such as
         - A table of files which are not yet finished reading, causing a
         streaming pipeline to be blocked
      - It has been pointed out to me, that when many people hear metric, a
   very specific thing comes to mind, in particular quantitative,
   aggregated values. *That is NOT what my document is limited to. I
   consider both that type of metric, and more arbitrary 'monitoring
   information', like a table of files with statuses in the proposal.*
   - Perhaps there should be another word for this concept, yet I have not
   yet come up with a good one, "monitoring information", "monitoring item"
   perhaps.

*Metric types/Metric classes*

   - A collection of information reported on ProcessBundleProgressResponse
   and ProcessBundleResponse from the SDK to the RunnerHarness.
      - e.g. execution time of par do functions.
   - In my proposal they are defined by a URN and two structs which are
   serialized into a MetricSpec and Metric bytes payload field, for requesting
   and responding to the metrics.
      - e.g. beam:metric:ptransform_execution_times:v1 defines the
      information needed to describe how a ptransform
   - All metrics which are passed across the FN API have a *metric type*

*User metrics*

   - A metric added by a pipeline writer, using an SDK API to create these.
   - In my proposal the various *UserMetric types are a Metric Type. *
      - e.g. “urn:beam:metric:user_distribution_data:v1” and
“urn:beam:metric:user_counter_data:v1”
      define two metric types for packaging these user metrics and
      communicating them across the FN API.
      - SDK writers would need to write code to package the user metrics
      from SDK API calls into their associated metric types to send them across
      the FN API.

*Custom metric types*

   - A metric type which is not included in a catalog of first class beam
   metrics. This can be thought of as metrics a custom engine+runner+sdk
   (system as a whole) collects which is not part of the beam model.
      - e.g. a closed source runner can define its own URNs and metrics,
      extending the beam model
         - for example an I/O source specific to a closed source
         engine+runner+sdk may export a table of files it is reading
with statuses
         as a custom metric type

*Custom User Metrics with Custom Metric Types *

   - Not proposed to support by the doc
   - A user specified metric, written by a pipeline writer with a custom
   metric type, likely would be implemented using a general mechanism to
   attach the custom metric.
   - May have a custom user specified aggregation function as well.

*Reporting metrics to external systems such as drop wizard*

   - My doc does not specifically cover this, it assumes that a runner
   harness would be responsible for reporting metrics in formats specific to
   those external systems, such as Drop Wizard. It assumes that the
   URNs+Metric types provided will be specified enough so that it would be
   possible to make such a translation.
   - Each metric type would need to be handled in the RunnerHarness, to
   collect and report the metric to an external system
   - Some concern has come up about this, and if this should dictate the
   format of the metrics which the SDK sends to the RunnerHarness of the FN
   API, rather than using the more custom URN+payload approach.
   - Though there could be URNs specifically designed to do this, the
      intention of the design in the doc is to not require SDKs to give string
      "names" to metrics, just to fill in URN payloads, and the Runner Harness
      will pick names for metrics if needed to send to external systems.

Just wanted to clarify this a bit. I hope the example of the table of files
being a more complex metric type describes the usage of custom metric
types. I'll update the doc with this

@Robert, I am not sure if you are proposing anything that is not in the
current form of the doc.