*Thank you for this clarification. I think the table of files fits into the
model as one of type string-set (with union as aggregation). *
Its not a list of files, its a list of metadata for each file, several
pieces of data per file.

Are you proposing that there would be separate URNs as well for each entity
being measured then, so the the URN defines the type of entity being
measured.
"urn.beam.metrics.PCollectionByteCount" is a URN for always for PCollection
entities
"urn.beam.metrics.PTransformExecutionTime" is a URN is always for
PTransform entities

*message MetricSpec {*
*  // (Required) A URN that describes the accompanying payload.*
*  // For any URN that is not recognized (by whomever is inspecting*
*  // it) the parameter payload should be treated as opaque and*
*  // passed as-is.*
*  string urn = 1;*

*  // (Optional) The data specifying any parameters to the URN. If*
*  // the URN does not require any arguments, this may be omitted.*
*  bytes parameters_payload = 2;*

*  // (Required) A URN that describes the type of values this metric*
*  // records (e.g. durations that should be summed).*
*}*

*message Metric[Values] {*
* // (Required) The original requesting MetricSpec.*
* MetricSpec metric_spec = 1;*

* // A mapping of entities to (encoded) values.*
* map<string, bytes> values;*
This ignores the non-unqiueness of entity identifiers. This is why in my
doc, I have specified the entity type and its string identifier
@Ken, I believe you have pointed this out in the past, that uniqueness is
only guaranteed within a type of entity (all PCollections), but not between
entities (A Pcollection and PTransform may have the same identifier).
*}*