That's not fully correct. A committer can directly commit, all depends of the
approach used in the project: commit and review or review and commit.

In Beam we decided to do review and commit. So a committer or a PMC or a
contributor should create a PR.
Other Apache projects allow to directly commit (or at least a PR merged
quickly).

Just my €0.01 ;)

Regards
JB