Thanks for taking this initiative. As the number of contributors grows, so
does the cost of broken builds. I'm also in favor of locking master merges
until related issues are fixed (short term pain for long term gain). It
would penalize a few for the benefit of many.

On that note, recently we also had a fair share of pre-commit build issues,
with a few making their way to master. These include instances unrelated to
build tooling, such as compile error or packaging. I don't think we should
run PR merges over the red light and suggest it is necessary to step up the
gatekeeper responsibility committers have.

Thanks,
Thomas