Hi, Folks,

On behalf of the Samza team, I would like to propose to merge the
samza-runner branch into master. The branch was created on Jan when we
first introduced the Samza Runner [1], and we've been adding features and
refining it afterwards. Now the runner satisfies the criteria outlined in
[2], and merging it to master will give more visibility to other
contributors and users.

1. Have at least 2 contributors interested in maintaining it, and 1
committer interested in supporting it: *Both Chris and me have been making
contributions and I am going to sign up for the support. There are more
folks in the Samza team interested in contributing to it. Thanks Kenn for
all the help and reviews for the runner!*
2. Provide both end-user and developer-facing documentation: *The PR for
the samza-runner doc has runner user guide, capability matrix, and tutorial
using WordCount examples.*
3. Have at least a basic level of unit test coverage: *Unit tests are here
[3].*
4. Run all existing applicable integration tests with other Beam components
and create additional tests as appropriate: Enabled ValidatesRunner tests.*
5. Be able to handle a subset of the model that addresses a significant set
of use cases, such as ‘traditional batch’ or ‘processing time streaming’:
*We have test Beam jobs running in Yarn using event-time processing of
Kafka streams.*
6. Update the capability matrix with the current status. *Same as #2.*
7. Add a webpage under documentation/runners. *Same as #2.*

The PR for the samza-runner merge: https://github.com/apache/beam/pull/5668
The PR for the samza-runner doc: https://github.com/
apache/beam-site/pull/471

Thanks,