Luke: the proposal here solves exactly what you are talking about.

The problem you describe happens when the PR author uses autoformat but the
baseline is not already autoformatted. What I am proposing is to make sure
the baseline is already autoformatted, so PRs never have extraneous
formatting changes.

Rafael: the default setting on GitHub is "allow edits by maintainers" so
actually a committer can run spotless on behalf of a contributor and push
the fixup. I have done this. It also lets a committer fix up a good PR and
merge it even if the contributor is, say, asleep.

Kenn